Juniors Set Questions
Below are the set grading questions for junior students. For your grading you must be able to answer all the questions for your grade and all the previous grades too.
Note: Adults may use these questions to help them revise but adult grading questions are not determined in advance and during a grading adults could be asked anything from the syllabus up to and including their present grade.
10th kup – PI (White belt grading to purple stripe)
- Where does Taekwon-Do come from?
- What is the name of your instructor?
- Show how you make a fist and the part of the fist we use to punch a pad.
P1 – P2 (Purple stripe grading to orange stripe)
- What is your training suit in Korean?
- What is the training hall in Korean?
- What are the three rules of concentration?
P2 – 9th kup (Orange stripe grading to yellow stripe)
- How do we get power in our movements?
- What are the benefits from doing Taekwon-Do?
- What are Tae, Kwon and Do in English?
NB – All students who are 9th kup and above can be asked the name, number of moves and meaning of their highest pattern. They can also be asked the meaning of the colour of belt they are trying to achieve and any questions relating to the gradings that have gone before.
9th kup – 8th kup (Yellow stripe grading to yellow belt)
- What is a tenet?
- What are the tenets of Taekwon-Do?
- What do they mean?
- When was Taekwon-Do formed?
- What does P.U.M.A stand for?
- When was P.U.M.A. formed?
- Name the founder of Taekwon-Do.
- Demonstrate a walking stance, name the stance in Korean.
- Demonstrate a sitting stance, name the stance in Korean.
- Demonstrate an L stance, name the stance in Korean.
8th kup – 7th kup (Yellow belt grading for green stripe)
- Name the three sections of the body in Korean.
- Forefist in Korean?
- Forearm in Korean?
- When was Taekwon-Do brought to England?
- What part of the foot is used for front snap kick?
- What part of the foot is used for side piercing kick?
- Explain twin forearm block and name it in Korean.
- Explain knife-hand guarding block and name it in Korean.
- Name three different kicks in Korean.
- What is inwards and outwards in Korean?
7th kup – 6th kup (Green stripe grading for green belt)
- Why are there 24 patterns?
- Demonstrate wedging block and name it in Korean.
- Explain the release move in your highest pattern.
- Explain turning kick.
- What do we gain from doing 3 step sparring?
- What is 3 step sparring in Korean?
- Name 3 hand-parts in English and Korean.
- Name 3 foot-parts in English and Korean.
- What is free sparring in Korean?
- What do we gain from learning to spar?
6th kup – 5th kup (Green belt grading for blue stripe)
- What is 2 step sparring in Korean?
- What do we learn from 2 step sparring?
- Explain everything you know about bending stance.
- Explain everything you know about fixed stance.
- Six hand-parts in Korean and say what move they are used for.
- Explain everything you know about the first 3 moves of Won Hyo.
- Demonstrate a back piercing kick and explain it.
- Why are there meanings to patterns?
- What is a pattern?
- What do you do for your Taekwon-Do school and other students in your class?
5th kup – 4th kup (green belt blue stripe grading for blue belt)
- What is the meaning of Yul-Gok?
- Explain the meanings of any 3 (chosen be examiner) patterns prior to Yul- Gok?
- Name the following techniques in Korean and identify suitable target areas for them:
- Side back fist
- Straight fingertip thrust
- Middle obverse punch
- High obverse punch
- Front snap kick (low/middle)
- Knife hand strike
- Twin upset punch
- Explain x-stance?
- What is the meaning of blue belt?
- What happened on April 11th 1955?
- Tell me all you know about the following blocks:
- Double forearm block
- Twin knife hand block
- Knife hand guarding block
- Hooking block
- What is Korean for the following techniques:
- Front elbow
- Hooking kick
- Reverse turning kick
- Upward knee kick
- Front elbow strike
- Free sparring
- Two step sparring
- Be prepared to answer any 3 questions from the previous belts’s theory questions.
Note: As 4th Kup is a senior grade, students of this grade must know all the theory from the handbook up to and including their present belt. Furthermore, they should be prepared to answer any of the previous grades questions as well.